Student community and training
Each year, the Ecole normale supérieure hosts some 2,400 students:
- 930 élèves normaliens with the status of trainee civil servants
- 400 normaliens étudiants
- 700 doctoral students in Sciences and in Humanities and Social sciences
- 350 exchange students
- 100 international students taking part to the ENS’ exchange programmes
About 1,1500 former students form the alumni network
44 Master specialities
Academic and research staff
800 permanent professors and researchers enliven the ENS’ educational and scientific life, and work within 15 departments and 32 research units :
- 170 professors employed by the ENS
- 200 professors employed by other universities and institutions
- 420 employed by research institutions, such as the CNRS, INSERM, INRIA
- 15 teaching departments
Each year, the laboratories host :
- 700 doctoral students
- 280 post-doctoral researchers
- 300 foreign researchers
- 30 doctoral schools co-accredited with PSL Research University
Research activities, in Humanities as well as in Sciences, translate into more than 1,300 publications per year in international peer-reviewed journals.
Administrative and technical staff
400 administrative and technical employees, among them more than 250 engineers.
- Each year the ENS hosts around a hundred exchange students
- 50 language assistant posts for the normaliens
- 30 work placements in scientific research for the normaliens
- 70 bilateral exchange agreements
- 35 exchange agreements under the Erasmus scheme
- 17 modern languages taught at the ENS, among them Hindi, Swedish, Japanese, Bambara, French Sign Language.
Thanks to its extremely rich collection, whose main part is in open access for researchers, the Humanities Library Ulm-Jourdan is a hotspot for research in humanities and social sciences. The library is rich of 800,000 volumes, 2,000 subscriptions to print-based journals and to 18,000 electronic journals, and also offers online access to 100 databases, on-site and remote services, as well as computing resources training.
Mis à jour le 5/5/2017