The International Selection of ENS
Each year the ENS organizes an international selection allowing about thirty of the most promising international students, either in Science or in Humanities, to follow a two or three-year course at the ENS. They receive a monthly stipend of approximately 1,000 Euros and benefit from an accommodation on the ENS campus.
École Normale Supérieure
45, rue d’Ulm 75230
Paris cedex 05 – France
Tél. 33 (0) 1 44 32 31 08
Fax : 33 (0) 1 44 32 28 08
30 master scholarships
About 30 foreign students are allocated by the International Selection a monthly scholarship of approximately 1000 euros during two years (in Mathematics and Computer Sciences, a year of undergraduate studies can be added before the Master, depending on the candidate’s profile).
The Selection Prerequisites
The application requirements are the following:
- Providing proof of a non-French nationality
- Being born after September, 1st,1987
- Applying only once for this program
- Attending a University outside of France
- In their last year of undergraduate studies (to be validated before September, 1st, 2014)
- Or, in the first year of post-graduate studies (except candidates in Mathematics), provided they enrol in the first year of a Master’s Degree at the ENS on September, 1st, 2014.
The jury in Mathematics will consider in priority candidates enrolled in their 2nd or 3rd year of undergraduate studies.
Exceptionally students who started studying in France after the 1st of August 2013 may apply.
The Selection Process :
- There is no specific program for this international selection. The first step of the admission process is a selection of students according to their records. Then, a committee interviews the candidates in order to assess their capacity of analysis, conceptualization, and their ability to synthesize, in the light of their scientific or literary culture, their intellectual curiosity, and the relevance of their study project.
- Candidates submit the form available on the website between January ,7 and March, 14 2014;
- In May, they will be informed of the results of the preselection process;
- The candidates whose applications have been preselected are individually invited in Paris, where they will take the written tests and then will be interviewed (either in french or english, or even in the native language of the candidate when possible) by the examination panel immediately afterwards. The results are published in the few following days. All in all the candidates need to stay up to two weeks;
- Classes start mid-September but French course starts begining of September
In the course of their studies, students work to obtain both a Master in research (an European Diploma) in one of the ENS’s partner Parisian universities, chosen in accordance with their project of study, and the ENS Diploma acknowledging the complementary education received at the ENS.
For more information about the international selection process of the departments:
Department of biology
Department of chemistry
Department of mathematics
Department of physic
Department of cognitive science